Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Modigliani dies at 35

Tuesday

Horrible itchy heat rash kept me awake, so felt all weary this morning. But unstoppable, I pulled myself together and headed off on the subway up to 96th Street and then walked down 4 blocks to 92nd Street and The Jewish Museum. The queue was even longer than when we abandoned the idea of visiting the exhibition last week, but this time I had my determined hat on and I joined the long line of little old Jewish ladies heavy in jewellery and make-up. Blending in well, I read my new book as I waited – ‘Sky Burial’ by Xinran which was a very generous gift given to me when I left London. It’s beautifully written, and I was totally absorbed for the hour it took me to reach the front of the queue. The Modigliani exhibition was stunning and fascinating and I spent over two hours over it. Just as fascinating were all the incredibly ancient people in the exhibition - average age 93. Afterwards I explored the rest of the museum but it wasn’t really for me.

I had planned to return to the library, but the sun was shining and there was Central Park so I found a leafy glade and settled down for a couple of hours to write. I watched the dozens of people walking dogs and got all sentimental missing my little Sammie back at home. One man was walking eight huge dogs on individual leads – quite an undertaking I would have thought – imagine the number of poop-bags you’d end up with!

It was getting on for 6pm so I walked back through the park to 59th and took a subway home. Negotiating the entrance/exit barrier was a challenge in itself – I was rebuffed by a terribly indignant New Yorker who pushed me back as I tried to go in, “I’ve been stuck in here for ten minutes! Ten minutes!” she shouted at me, as if it was entirely my fault. I apologised - because I’m English.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff, glad to see you are making friends of the septics! Im sure the NYers would see the term indignant
as a badge of acheivment.


Its good to see that the old ladies can wear some bling when they go out. Im suprised they didnt take you for a salt beef sandwich after the exhibition. You seenm to be enjoying yourself too much. Isnt this writing malarky suposed to be done in a bitter and twisted way, whilst living in some grotty garret with no money.

Anyway I cant' spend time writing as I have to go to a riveting reception in the Gerkin.

Barrie

15 September 2004 at 12:48:00 GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see your technical skills in theair conditioning department have improved. BTW you ow me loadsof beer.

Hayden

15 September 2004 at 15:22:00 GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home