Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Moiselle!

I was just sitting down with a nice cup of tea when the doorbell went and I was whisked off once more. It was a frosty morning, and in the bright sunshine the countryside looked as though it had been dusted with icing sugar. We arrived in Périgueux soon after eleven and partook of a little window shopping, not that we needed any little windows. It was freezing cold on the streets, so at the first opportunity we snuck into a café (Café La Place) for a coffee. The clock behind the bar chimed twelve and the coffee miraculously transformed into a pastis. Lunch followed, as is traditional, and I tucked into herrings, lamb and profiteroles. Most enjoyable.

Lunch out the way (always such a grind), we returned to the car and dropped in at a large cash-and-carry store for Christmas provisions. Afterwards we drove out into the countryside – I’m afraid I’m not quite sure where – to visit the dog kennels where M&A have chosen their wee Scotty puppy: Moiselle. That’s her in the picture - the one without the scarf on. Still a few weeks to go before they can take her home, but they have visiting rights. Wherever you looked there were pens full of adorable puppies…if I was staying here full time I would have been very tempted. The owners invited us in for a beer, and then we set off to Vergt.

We were a little premature to arrive at the party we had been invited to, so we found a bar in town. It was like going back in time. The air was heavy with thick cigar and pipe smoke, and a group of craggy old men sat around playing cards. You could also buy bullets, which is always a boon when you pop out for a beer I think. More bars selling bullets I say. We had a drink, but in the absence of any breathing equipment, our stay was not a long one.

The party…was great. I met lots of very interesting people (all English) and the house was beautiful. Outside, without any light pollution, the night sky was absolutely stunning. Inside, with Abba on the stereo the dancing climaxed with André taking centre stage. I arrived home sometime around…well, nearer getting up time than going to bed time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home