Saturday, December 18, 2004

A right kerfuffle

The day began well with various characters sitting around on the sofas going, ‘Urghhhh’ mainly, with the occasional ‘Erghhhhh.’ I dashed off to the market and found myself a smashing little Christmas tree. Well I say little, it’s about 7’ high and as it still has its root ball, it weighs approximately a tonne. The woman on the market stall where I bought it could not believe I was serious when I said I didn’t have a car and would carry it home. I fixed her in the eye, and with bulging biceps raised the tree off the ground, by approximately half an inch, then collapsed in a heap. ‘See, easy!’ I said. Twenty minutes later I had successfully managed to shift the tree approximately ten feet from the stall, and a small crowd had gathered to watch my pathetic struggle. With steely determination I embarked on my epic journey back to the house, which generally involved stopping to catch my breath every ten feet. Because I was standing around holding a 7’ Christmas tree in a market, I’m sure people thought it was for sale, and kept sizing it up or down for suitability. Eventually I made it home, returning to the market again later for another whiz around.

Lunch was a slightly less crowded affair than had been discussed the previous evening (on account of the people on the sofas going ‘Urghhh’) but it was organic and vegetarian and so was the wine which was delicious. Afterwards M&A and I wandered off to the Christmas market to get in the spirit, then back to the house for a few liveners.

Later, J & I went out for a beer. The small pub on the corner which I have passed many times, and always looks a bit ‘old man’ from the outside, turned out to be the most happening place in town, where they even give you free beer. We stayed until closing, which was some time around 1.30am I think, but I don't think I can be entirely certain of anything anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home