Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Peach Flavor Shrimps

The New York Observer is the equivalent of The Guardian, except for two things: it's published only once a week and I'll be jiggered if I can do the crossword. I grabbed a copy and headed off to Washington Square Park for a comfy bench and a quiet read. Back in the good old 1980's, the park was notorious as a drug dealing centre and had a dangerous reputation. Disappointingly, not so today - but by the way the squirrels were acting I have my suspicions that they took the precaution of burying a stash along with their nuts. I was sitting near the dog enclosure and watched the cheeky little mutts cavorting with each other - New York dogs seem so happy and sociable unlike their British counterparts - it must be the way they're raised or something in the water.

I wandered along 8th Street all the way to 1st Avenue, exploring all the thrift stores and 'alternative fashion' shops. An outfit for every occasion! Back at Union Square I hopped on a subway train uptown to 59th Street and then headed west along 57th to the old Morning Star diner H and I have frequented many times over the years. The waiter recognised me which was something, and I had a hearty lunch - enough food for four. Flicking through TimeOut New York I saw 'Farenheit 9/11' was playing at a cinema down on 42nd so I wandered along to that. A great cinema - and a very moving and disturbing film. It really got to me. Plenty of food for thought there.

Back on foot via trendy 8th Avenue to 15th Street and a quiet evening in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It only goes to show that it is Diane, Barrie and I that carried you on the Guardian crossword. Maybe its American-English.

Hayden

16 September 2004 at 12:27:00 GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home