Sunday, December 12, 2004

Detox for my rent

The sky was blue and the sun was shining once again, which made a pleasant change to the last few days of grey skies, mist and general chilliness. I popped out to buy a baguette, some croissants and pain au chocolat and then got on with writing in the sunny dining room.

Soon after midday, I took a stroll along the Dordogne, and settled onto my favourite bench overlooking the vast river. It was like a spring day, and I sat in the sun writing for a couple of hours. You can set your watch by the routine of life here. When I set off I did not see one single person out, it being lunchtime. For the first hour, nobody passed except for a geriatric jogger and small boy on a BMX (separately that is). At 1.30pm it was like Piccadilly Circus, and the world and his wife (and all their dogs) were out for a post-luncheon constitutional.

I returned to the house to say goodbye to C&G who were reluctantly setting off to Bergerac International Air Shed to begin their homeward bound journey, and then I returned to the riverbank, anxious not to miss out on the last of the day’s warm sunshine. It started to get chilly again after the sunset and I scuttled back to cook a penne bolognaise and watch The Laramie Project on DVD which was most provocative and moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home