Saturday, January 01, 2005

Hear Neppy Way! (anag.)

Anybody for the above anagram? I spent minutes on that.

I have to tell you about this fantastic French radio station I’ve come across called Radio Nostalgie. It’s FM 102.6 if you are able to tune into French radio via the internet or something. The great thing about it is that practically every fourth record they play is Jacques Brel! Oh it’s marvellous. Each time Jacques comes on I have to stand up and wave my arms around in true Brel fashion. I need Brel CDs urgently. Thanks John, you started this and I blame you entirely!

I went to bed with good intentions of rising at 7am, but the combination of gin & tonics, madeira and red wine did strange things to my head. At ten I set off into the drizzle once again to give Mr Rusty a run for his money. This time I cycled along the other side of the Dordogne, along a little lane, past the weir and on past fields and isolated houses. I did happen to notice at one point there were a lot of cars parked up, and coincidentally there was a man sitting alone in each car. I counted fourteen of them. What’s that all about? Had I stumbled across Bergerac’s equivalent of Clapham Common? It was too wet for me to be able to describe my cycle ride as especially enjoyable, but it was good to be out getting a bit of exercise and fresh air. I returned home wet and splattered from head to toe in mud. At least I hope it was mud.

Well, there’s not that much else to report as I spent the rest of the day writing solidly. Well not just solidly, it would be daft to spend the best part of a day writing the word ‘solidly’. I wrote some other words as well, but it would be a waste of all out time to list them out here, although some of them are most excellent words of which I am very proud. I just hope they’re in the right order. There's over 59,674 of them now, all lined up like little soldiers. I know, I counted them.

So, six o’clock and I’ve got a headache from sitting in front of this laptop typing drivel for six hours without a break. That’s not clever is it?

Meals on Wheels arrived with a fantastic dinner courtesy of L’Enfance de Lard. I think it’s exciting now that the business has gone through this phase of horizontal diversification into the realms of outside catering. We dined on a fantastic soup (I’m afraid I’ve forgotten its official name) but it’s made with langoustines and carrots and when piping hot it’s poured over fresh oysters and prawns and it’s delicious. OK, I must admit that from the look of the soup you wonder if the chef had a heavy cold, but the taste is all that matters. Michael had some cremated lamb chops while André and I feasted on pan-fried scallops. Aunt Bessie came up trumps with her roast potatoes and green beans, and a sprinkling of peas added a little colour to the plate. The most fantastic lemon tart finished us off – and I’ve still got three-quarters of it sitting in the kitchen if anybody fancies popping in for a coffee. Anybody? Cake?

We rounded off a fine evening by putting the world to rights over a constant stream of red wine and whisky cokes. We solved the following of the world's problems:

Homelessness
Fox hunting
Intensive sea fishing
Jennifer Saunders

We agreed to disagree on most of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

je crois que tu as raison, G

2 January 2005 at 10:13:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think that you have muddled up the by-lines for the photographs - An old building yesterday should really be swopped with It's me dears - I just seems funnier!!!

Please refrain from advertising the new meals on wheels service - we have to pay more VAT on those.

3 January 2005 at 17:11:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home