Thursday, February 03, 2005

Welcome back

I am totally engrossed in Murdoch-world – it’s terrific. Trouble is though, that kind of carry-on slows down my mornings a tad, as a two hour readathon in bed would. Yes I know, I might just as well enjoy it while I still can, as I am so constantly being reminded. I thank you.

So, where are we today – and who the Pickwick Papers are you? Ah Wednesday – yes, let’s see. Right, I’ve got it – went to Leclerc with Michael, for like Old Mother Hubbard, I had no bones in my cupboard (just a couple of skeletons in my closet). Nearly had a seizure at the checkout. Who the flapping-heck is drinking all this bloody booze sweetie? Just a weekly shop for me – working mum.

Back indoors I stashed my loot, then set off into town for some odds and sods. I queued up in the post office for half an hour like a good citizen, and do you know what? When I asked for four stamps for Angleterre the woman in the purple lipstick said ‘Non!’ I looked at her, astonished – purple really wasn’t her colour. She looked back at me as if to say ‘What do you think this is, a bloody buggery post office?’ I showed her my teeth, and she showed me her conkers. It was game, set and match, and I left empty-hearted.

I needed a new notebook, as mine is full of notes (mainly D flat) so, after trawling around three bookshop/stationer type places I found something vaguely suitable, although not quite up to my usual exquisite taste. Now picture this: a little bookshop, mid-afternoon in a sleepy back street in Bergerac. How long do I have to wait to handover my three euros? About twenty-five blinking minutes while Madame de la Fafafafacelift-central has a pile of about thirty kiddie books individually gift wrapped and labelled. I marched back home with a bee in my bonnet, a flea in my ear and a fly in the ointment. Have I had enough of Bergerac? Well, the last series was a little lazily directed I felt.

A cup of tea and the second act of Tosca. Blimey – there’s old Scarpia trying to get it on with Tosca while they torture poor old Cavaradossi who you can hear a-groaning and a-wailing like a stuck pig in the background. Then they discover Angelotti (who was hiding in the well – keep up at the back) has only been and gone and poisoned himself, so he’s out of the game, the daft blighter. Scarpia, gagging for a shag makes a deal with Tosca (something distinctly dodgy like blank bullets at Cavaradossi’s execution) but Tosca’s got hold of a knife and…oh my God, what an ooogi mess! There’s blood and entrails up the wall, across the ceiling and down the back of the sofa. Those cushion covers will need a boilwash, or my name isn’t Trudy Scrumptious. I don’t know if I can bear to listen to Act 3 now. It’s enough to make one tut.

A swift G&T round at MM&A’s (it’s all in code!) then home to cassoulet and cocoa, and a spot more Murdoch-magic. Gotta getta bit ov cullcha aincha?

2 Comments:

Blogger Georgina said...

What a famous Frank Sinatra song you have - it's like a yellow brick road all the way to San Jose. I was drawn along by munchkins, drinking my milk'n'T and enjoyin!

3 February 2005 at 16:56:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of the french post-office system! They are sticklers for time (not in sending letters mind you) but when lunch starts. I recall walking up to the post office door in Moulydier at 11:59 one-day, a woman behind the door gave me the dirtiest look imaginable and just as the clock struck 12 she locked the door and before she pulled down the blind, I am sure she had a smirk on her face. The office was then shut for 2 hours.

Another good example of their customer care technique NOT! was in Lalinde. I foolishly needed 11 stamps (or onze timbres, onze is a difficult word for us english speakers to ger our tounge round at the best of time. I went up to the counter and asked in my best french that "I would like eleven stamps for England please"; she looked at me blankly and after some consideration produced one stamp. I said no, I wanted 11, she looked at me blankly again, so I tried everything saying 10 + 1, holding up 10 fingers and then 1, still no joy. In vain I tried pronnuncing onze again - almost in despair I was ready to flounce out of the office when a young girl beside me in another queue, looked at me, gave me a knowing smile - and in a sharp voice said to the lady. "He is trying to say ONZE"; and magically 11 stamps appeared. The lesson I have learnt form this is only right enough post cards which the assistant can understand through an english accent 10 or 12 has never been a problem, maybe it is just they don't expect odd numbers of stamps to be sold?

The joys of buying stamps in the main post office in Bergerac are even more complicated, as Geoff has found out. Unlike the smaller post offices where you can buy stamps at the counter, in Bergerac there is a 'special' separate, hidden-away around a corner, counter with only one member of staff, where you hand in parecls, packages, collect undeliverable mail and buy stamps; needless to say it has a long queue as well. It is to your left when you walk through the main doors. I only found this out, as it is not obviously sign-posted, when I had a similar experience at the main counters to Geoff's but the "friendly" counter assistant I had at least had the courtesy, after saying NO, to point, in a disdainful way, in the gernal direction of the stamp counter with a snotty la-bas.

George

4 February 2005 at 04:00:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home