Thursday, October 14, 2004

Just when you least expect it, just what you least expect

I lost my mobile somewhere in the west wing last night so I had no alarm clock and woke up when it got light - properly light that is (!) at 8.30am. Oh sod the planned early morning cycle ride, a cup of tea and back to bed to read Alan Cumming's 'Tommy's Tale' which is nothing short of unputdownable.

I eventually hauled the old carcass out of bed and had a fruit and fibre breakfast before squeezing into my lycra and straddling Mr Rusty for a spot of crossbar action. This time I pointed my front wheel uptown (still stuck in Manhattan speak) and peddled over the railway and off up into the countryside. Some punishing hills nearly finished me off but I just kept on going. No idea where. Peddling on and on - what was that? Ste-Foy-des-Vignes I believe. Whatever - just kept on going. Beautiful countryside all around, and I spotted a magnificent black hen surrounded by all her black little chicks pecking around in the dirt like one happy chicken family. After about an hour and a half I realised I was completely lost and that felt vaguely exhilarating. I kept going until I hit a road with a signpost, studied my map and worked out a route home. Eventually arrived back wet but pumped full of endomorphins.

Michael picked me up in his Smartcar and after disposing of a magnificent collection of bottles at the recycling centre we went to L'Eclerc for a spot of shopping. Suffering withdrawal symptoms from my normal hit of filter coffee, I splashed out on a filter-coffee maker and some salad.

Back home I put Madame Butterfly on and set about some writing. Suddenly it all came together and I was away. This is it - it's happening. I'm having a baby. So excited I danced all around the house like a banshee. I hope the neighbours can't see through the nets.

Popped over to L'Enfance de Lard this evening. Lashings of gin and tonics, some mighty fine and authentically French onion soup and a magret de canard that I can not find words to describe and delicious red wine - and I only popped in to say hi. It's a miracle I can still walk, let alone type.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home