Sunday, October 17, 2004

Seafood diet

Ah, the day of rest! Sunshine this morning so I made myself comfortable on the terrace with coffee and a delicious slice of tart rescued from being disposed of at the end of last night at L’Enfance de Lard. I’m still reading Thursday’s Guardian – I never knew there was so much in it! Certainly getting my €2.80’s worth. Please would somebody send me some Guardian crosswords though – preferably not already completed?!

I set off for lunch around midday. When I left the house I walked straight into the middle of a party of elderly folk, who were being given a guided tour of Bergerac. I have noticed before that they stop just outside the house – I wish I could understand what the guide was saying. Anyway, I had to negotiate my way through the group to get along the road, and the guide stopped what she was saying to say ‘Bonjour monsieur’ to me. The whole party of about thirty people turned to look at me and said ‘Bonjour’ as one, and rather red-faced I said ‘Bonjour’ back. It was only then that I realised I was still wearing my slippers.

We went to a very nice little restaurant within walking distance. After a kir aperitif, I shared the largest fruits de mer starter with André. It was incredibly fresh too – oysters (yes, I am eating oysters again and loving them so there!), mussels, langoustine, crab, whelks, winkles, cockles and prawns. We seemed to end up with more shells than we started out with, but it was all thoroughly delicious. Filet de Bœuf with a cream and cêpes sauce was also excellent, as was the plenteous quantity of rosé, rounded off with a couple of glasses of champagne.

It was a sunny afternoon, so after lunch I found myself a comfy spot next to the Dordogne and sat in the sun for a couple of hours reading. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home