Friday, January 14, 2005

Blown out

I have never made cauliflower soup before, and I was most pleasantly surprised with the fruits of my labour. A delicious potage, especially with a little Roquefort cheese crumbled in just before serving – an excellent tip from Bergerac’s finest chef. If there was a competition for superb soups I believe this would be well received by the judges.

Well, what can I say? I was about to start cleaning the house and making up the guest bedroom, when I decided to check my emails first. What do you know? A cancellation! My weekend guest was not coming! I was shocked. I reluctantly accepted the truth of the matter given the mitigating circumstances of general family unwellness. One consolation was I didn’t have to do any cleaning, but what I’m going to do with all this champagne, wine, beer and food I’ve got in I really do not know. Suggestions on a postcard please!

You’ll be relieved to know I really did appreciate my new found leisure time (that’s a Sparks lyric by the way) and spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon catching up on the writing I didn’t do during my time in London. I popped out for a baguette and a Guardian – well, I figured that I wouldn’t be getting the one my visitor had promised to bring me so I it was acceptable to treat myself.

It’s incredibly cold here, although the on-line weather forecast would have you believing otherwise. How can they get it so wrong so often? I got incredibly shivery sitting still writing, so I decided to take myself off for a brisk walk along the river. I walked for three quarters of an hour and then turned round and headed back which certainly got the blood pumping. As I walked back to the house I saw the Ryan Air flight come in – one passenger short! I can hear the plane fly off again on its return trip to Stanstead as I write this.

So, I kind of had the next 71 hours with my guest planned out – but now I’ve screwed that up and dropped it into the recycling bag. Dinner tonight at L’Enfance de Lard has been cancelled, and I find myself at a loose end. No excuse not to buckle down and write then. OK. I will. I’ll show you. Every cloud has a silver lining. Every dog will have his day. Many a muckle makes a muckle.

Now, where’s that bottle of champagne?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff

You could pig out on all the food yourself, or invite any visting assembly member(BN) around for a drop of loop de loop and a tolouse sausage with dodgy gravy.

We have just had the Red Army Choir singing out side CH, so why were they dressed in green!

I hope you have enough to do after being let down by HM, thats not her majesty by the way, but I think he was scared off by the thought of having to consume vast amounts of alcohol, which as you know is an alien concept to him.

It was good to see you in London during the week and hope to catch up soon.

barrie

14 January 2005 at 12:38:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home